Essia Law is committed to protecting the privacy of any personal information held about individuals in accordance with the applicable laws. “Personal information” is information about an identifiable individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, as defined by applicable law. Essia Law has implemented measures to comply with its obligations under the relevant Australian privacy laws.
This policy applies to Essia Pty Ltd (ABN 74 657 814 901) Trading as “Essia Law” (“Essia Law” or “we” “us” or “our”), and describes the way that Essia Law collects, holds and discloses personal information about individuals. This policy forms part of our Terms and Conditions for use of this website at https://www.essialaw.com.au (“Website”).
Privacy statements in relation to our websites and in relation to calls received by our telephone enquiry service are also incorporated into this policy.
Why does Essia Law collect my personal information?
Essia Law collects and holds your personal information to allow it to perform its business functions. For example, Essia Law may collect and use the following kinds of personal information:
- information about your use of this Website including which pages you visit and the length of time you remain on those pages;
- information that you provide for the purpose of registering with our Website;
- information about transactions carried out over this Website;
- information that you provide for the purpose of subscribing to the Website services; and
- any other information that you send to us or share with us over the phone.
What personal information does Essia Law hold?
During the course of our business, we may collect personal information from you. The types of personal information Essia Law collects will depend on the nature of your dealings with Essia Law and may (but does not always) include:
- Your contact details;
- Date of birth;
- Personal and/or work contact details (including phone/fax number/email address, business name and authorised representative name and contact details, address);
- Your service preferences and purchase history;
- Any information about you which you provide through forms submitted on our Website.
If necessary, Essia Law may also ask you to provide it with additional personal information from time to time, including when you access our telephone service.
What if you don’t provide Essia Law the personal information it requires?
If you can’t, or won’t, provide Essia Law with the personal information it reasonably requires, Essia Law may be unable to provide you with the information, goods or services you have requested.
How does Essia Law collect my personal information?
Essia Law tries to collect personal information directly from you. That collection generally occurs when you:
- Request information from, or have dealings directly with Essia Law;
- Submit your information via a form on the Website;
- Participate in a competition or trade promotion conducted by Essia Law;
- Participate in a survey conducted by Essia Law or one of its related companies;
- Access or request information from the Website; or
- Provide information to Essia Law’s customer telephone service operators.
In some circumstances however, Essia Law may also collect your personal information from other entities covered by this policy or third parties (including lawyers registered with Essia Law), but where it does so, it will ensure that it acts in accordance with relevant privacy laws.
Essia Law will such take steps as are reasonable in the circumstances (if any) to ensure that you are aware of the purposes for which it collects your personal information. Such notification may be from a Essia Law registered lawyer where your information is collected (for disclosure to, or on behalf of, Essia Law) by such an entity.
How does Essia Law use my personal information?
Essia Law uses your personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, including (but not limited to):
- Providing you with the Essia Law goods or services you request;
- Promoting and marketing Essia Law’s current and future products and services (including to you);
- Informing you of upcoming events, special promotions and offers, discounts and other matters which Essia Law considers may be of interest to you;
- Conducting research (including but not limited to client surveys) concerning Essia Law’s current and future products or services; and
- Administering, reviewing and optimising the performance of Essia Law’s services; and
- Improving the operation or navigation of Essia Law’s website.
Essia Law may also use your personal information for other purposes which are related to those listed above and which will be made clear to you at the time Essia Law collects that information, or for such purposes as may be required or permitted by law.
If Essia Law uses your personal information for direct marketing purposes, all correspondence sent to you by Essia Law will give you the opportunity to “opt out” of receiving any further direct marketing correspondence. If we use your personal information to send you any direct marketing communications, you have the right to request that we provide you with the source of that personal information. There is no fee for requesting this information. Unless it is impracticable or unreasonable to do so, we will provide you with the source of the personal information.
Essia Law Telephone Service Privacy Statement
Please advise the Essia Law Team Member you are speaking with if you do not wish to have your call recorded.
Will Essia Law give my personal information to anyone else?
In providing you the information, goods or services you request, Essia Law may be required to disclose your personal information to:
- Essia Law’s consultants, contractors and service providers performing services including (but not limited to) promotions agencies, advertising agencies, legal and accounting services, credit reporting, mail-house, transport, prize providers, marketing, data analysis and processing and printing services; and/or
- Essia Law registered lawyers,
which may operate or hold data in Australia or in overseas countries which may include (but are not limited to) New Zealand, the United States of America or the Philippines. If Essia Law provides your personal information to such a party, Essia Law generally requires the third party to protect your personal information in the same way Essia Law does. Please note that Australian law may not apply to some of these entities.
Essia Law may also disclose your personal information to other third parties where it is required or permitted to under any applicable law.
Is my personal information secure?
Essia Law takes reasonable steps to ensure personal information it holds about you is protected from risks such as misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, use, destruction, modification or disclosure.
No data transmission over the internet is totally secure. As a result, any personal information you send to Essia Law over the Internet (including via email) is sent at your own risk.
Your rights of access and correction
The accuracy of your personal information is important. Essia Law takes reasonable steps to ensure personal information it holds about you is accurate, complete, up-to-date, relevant and not misleading. If you believe that any personal information Essia Law holds about you is incorrect, please contact us at +61 2 8006 0990 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have a general right to access the personal information Essia Law holds about you. You may contact us us at email@example.com to request details of your personal information. Essia Law can deny your request in some circumstances and if it does so, will provide you with written reasons for that denial. We will take reasonable steps to give access in a way that meets both Essia Law’s needs and your needs.
While there is no fee for requesting access to the personal information Essia Law holds about you, Essia Law reserves the right to charge a reasonable fee for the preparation and provision of that information to you.
You also have the right to request the correction of personal information which Essia Law holds about you. You may do so at any time by contacting us at us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Essia Law does however reserve the right to refuse to correct your information in some circumstances. If Essia Law refuses to correct any personal information about you, and subsequent agreement cannot be reached between the parties on this issue, you may request that a note or statement regarding the correction requested be attached to your personal information. We will not charge you a fee for requesting a correction to your personal information, correcting that information or for attaching a statement to your personal information (as relevant).
Even if you don’t submit such a request, if we are satisfied that, having regard to the reasons for which we hold your personal information, that personal information is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date, irrelevant or misleading, we may take reasonable steps to correct that information.
How do I obtain more information or lodge a privacy complaint?
- Have any concerns or a complaint regarding Essia Law’s privacy practices or its management of your personal information; or
- Consider that we have breached the APPs,
please contact us at email@example.com.
We acknowledge and take very seriously every privacy query and complaint that we receive. Essia Law will endeavour to respond to you within 20 business days.
If you’re not satisfied with how we have handled your matter, you may wish to contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner via the contact details listed at http://www.oaic.gov.au/about-us/contact-us-page.
Published June 2022.